Thursday, October 29, 2015

God's Values

On Tuesday, I learned something that has totally changed my way of thinking. And that was values. But what are values anyway? Before I explain how values shifted my perception of thought let's first dissect the word.
















 So a value can be something important or a person's standards. Okay...back to the story. Why I saw the values in a different light is because I didn't really appreciate them. On Tuesday around 7 pm, I was reading an ebook, when I was supposed to studying for my upcoming biology. You are probably wondering how can reading leading to trouble? In my circumstance it can, because I absolutely love reading! But I am taking a break from literature because I need to focus for my upcoming science test. So when my mother came downstairs and I was reading when I wasn't supposed to.... well it wasn't very pretty picture. And to make the situation even worse. I lied to try to cover up my sin. I  learned that you should NEVER try to cover up what you did wrong because it will not be exposed into the light. Anyway, that lesson is for another blog post. So to make this sad story short. I chose to read even though I wasn't allowed to at the moment, and then I try to hide it and lie to my mother.


How does this story apply to values? Great question. Well after I received my punishment due to my dishonesty, my mother gave me a talk. She explained that even though I disobeyed her rule about books, I still shouldn't try to hide it. I need to have values so I wouldn't try to justify sin. Another point I learned is that you cannot justify sin. Like for example, the phrase "a little white lie" is still a lie. That is why values are important because they keep us from trying to bend the rules. But wait a minute. Where do I find good values? Well let's look in the Bible. In Exodus 20, God gave Moses the 10 Commandments to set some rules and standards for the Israelites.


Also when a person follow their values they are protected from a possible negative situation. For example: If I decided to tell the truth to my mother about what I was doing on my comuter then my outcome would of been different. In addition, having values gives a person self worth. When you have values, you know not to follow anything that will can be harmful for you. For example: If I was pressured to try drugs. I would say no because I know that this can harm my body and my future. So to summarize this, I learned that values are important because they keep me from trying to hide or justify my sin.
 This is what the LORD says: “Maintain justice and do what is right, for my salvation is close at hand and my righteousness." Isaiah 56:1

*I challenge you to think about God's values that he has created for his people* 


 -Gracelyn Lives

4 comments:

  1. Hey Gracelyn,
    I really enjoyed this blog. Values are what drive our passion. When you had stated "values are important because they keep me from trying to justify my sin", I knew that in a short post you had found the true meaning of values outside of the literal meaning.

    I am so thankful you had decided to share publicly this post. I hope many more Christians read this post, and find comfort in your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cousin Gracelyn, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog on values. Sometimes values can be difficult for some people because they would rather go along to get along! I have ALWAYS been the kind of person to hold true to my values because I am a Child of the most high King! I'm not perfect, but I practice everyday to get things right. Having values sometimes makes us the "unpopular" person. However, because we do have values, we often have friends who share the same values. Continue to write (blog). Your post helped me and I'm sure it has helped others. I'm EXTREMELY proud of you, Cuz!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Aw thank you for reading! I love you!

      Delete
    3. Thanks Olivia for reading! I am happy you enjoyed it. :)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments!! Gracelyn Lives