Thursday, July 9, 2015

Overcoming My Temptations

What Would You Do?
Early in the summer, my mother made a rule that my sister and I could not be on our phones for more
than an hour. She didn't want us to lay around the house all day and just stay on our phones during the summer. At first, I didn't understand why she made the rule. I thought that this obstacle would be a breeze and that I could show my mother that I didn't need my phone to have fun. Unfortunately, this rule is soooo much harder than it looks. In the beginning of the process, I felt like I couldn't resist the temptation. I was into my phone that I even ignored the consequences of getting in trouble. I rather be sneaky and get on my phone for more than an hour than be obedient.
Now that I am writing this down it sounds so irresponsible and selfish. Anyway, I didn't realize how much time I spend on my phone. I use it for entertainment, when I'm just bored, when I need to get away from society, when I am in an awkward situation, when I am surrounded with strangers, or etc. My phone was literally a hobby! Now that I have been weaned away from my phone I realized that my emotions and actions have changed (positively of course). I have been more social, a better listener, more interested in others people's lives, more sympathetic, and more outgoing.
Also I have become stronger with saying no to temptation. Don't get me wrong I still get ideas and thoughts in my head, but now I know how to overcome them. And know I am going to explain how. This might not work for you, because EVERYONE has different ways to overcome temptation and that's perfectly okay. But here is how I overcome temptation:

1. Say no to myself either out loud or in my head
2. Think about the consequences
3. Think about how this can affect my loved ones
4. Pray to God and ask for his strength
5. Change the subject to something positive

LOL!
When I overcome my temptation to getting on my phone I feel great! I feel like that God is with me and that I can override the Devil's plans. I know that I am MORE THAN A CONQUEROR!


"I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me."
Philippians 4:13 KJV


 "Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he hasbeen approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord." 
James 1:12 NKJV



*I challenge you to think about any temptations you have and talk to God about them!* 

-Gracelyn Lives

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!! Gracelyn Lives