Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Being Afraid for the Wrong Reasons...

Since Halloween is in a few more days, I wanted to share some of my thoughts about fear. Previously, I have written about fear of failing, but this topic is something completely different.
Last Sunday, I went to my church's youth group. My youth pastor showed us an extremely surprising and scary video. The video starts off with a car driving down a hill, the setting actually looked like a replica of "The Shire" (the beloved home of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins) from the movies, Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Then suddenly, a deteriorating zombie pops up, screams, then disappears! I was absolutely shocked and terrified, since I was taken of guard and I hate zombies.
Where am I going with this? How does this apply to the title?
Before explain, I want to shared a Bible verse that applies to the subject. Matthew 24:44 (ESV) "Therefore you also must be ready, for the Son of God is coming at an hour you do not expect." This verse is VERY important because it applies to everything!  You see, I wasn't ready for the terrifying zombie to scare me, I was distracted by the pretty settings and other important details. I couldn't see the BIG picture. 
When Jesus comes back, I do not want to be shocked or terrified like I was with the zombie. I want to be ready for him, because I was focused on him and not the world. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction" Proverbs 1:7 (NIV). In my opinion, we shouldn't focus on being afraid of ghosts, goblins, bills, taxes, and etc. We should be afraid of God, not like scared of him, but respect him like someone you would admire. 
My biggest nightmare and fear is to come to the Lord on Judgement Day and be rejected by him, because I didn't listen to his wisdom and instruction. In fact, nothing else will matter when Judgment Day comes. Not even car payments, electrical bills, who will be the next contestants on Dancing With the Stars, or who's running for President of the United States of America! The only thing will ever matter is if you hear the words spoken from God, "Well done my good and faithful servant" (Matthew 5:21). I do not want to become a fool, because I feared worldly things instead of God!

“We should live our lives as though Christ was coming this afternoon.” -Jimmy Carter 

*I challenge you focus on the BIG picture, and stop being afraid of unimportant things . Because Jesus will overcome them :)*


-Gracelyn Lives

#HelpGraceGet2Greece please check out my website: http://gracelyn47.wix.com/greeceitalytrip  

Also, please donate so I can go to Greece and Italy this summer. My goal is to get 50 people to donate $25 by December 31st! Will you please donate?

2 comments:

  1. I agree! My biggest fear is being rejected by the Lord on judgement day. I love this post! You took the words out of my mouth :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!! Gracelyn Lives